This is a fun little quilt top I put together over Christmas Break.
I've been "collecting" orphan blocks for at least a year in anticipation of making my own kitchen sink quilt. I've pinned a few really beautiful ones, like this and this, that I was hoping I could duplicate in my own way.
Here are my humble beginnings:
Not much to look at when you first see them but I knew that with time I could make them beautiful. I'll admit at this stage of the game I was a little skeptical, though...
But the more I dug, the more blocks I found!
I started laying them out to find a pleasing arrangement.
It took a lot of trial and error and LOTS of rearranging to find an arrangement that I liked, but even then I still needed to fill in some gaps! I tried hard to stay true to the nature of the quilt and not use anything that wasn't a scrap or an orphan block for the gaps.
By far my favorite part of the "fill in the gap" phase was this happy little accident of triangles. The triangles themselves are tiny (2") leftovers from some bee block making. But they became even more awesome when I sewed the two rows together with one of them upside down. My original thought was to have them all going the same way stacked up nice and orderly, but I LOVE them so much better like this! A happy accident, indeed.
Here is the final layout in flimsy form all pieced together.
I love that it is a scrappy beautiful hot mess of blocks, as well as a sort of diary of blocks from the past year. Crazy, yet cool!